Friday, October 27, 2006

 

A Slow Road

Still at my brother's house in Mc Henry, IL. The other day while he and his girlfriend Kristen were at work I raked the leaves. I haven't raked leaves in a few years because we don't have many in Oregon. It was nice to be in the yard with the sun reflecting off the lake. Yard work is one of my favorite things - time to think and be outside.

Raking leaves also leaves one with a great sense of accomplishment. It's beautiful to see the groomed green autumn grass with its combed blades all stretching in one neat direction. The piles of leaves marking progress. Balance between the obsession of getting every leaf and being content with leaving a few in the wet hollows of deep grass.

Tuesday I went for a bike ride. I intended to go 40 miles but at mile 10 I was feeling the Achilles. I turned around and put in a total of 20 over an hour and a half. I iced it three times that evening.

Wednesday I watched a movie in the morning and raked leaves for four hours in the afternoon. I don't usually associate raking with pain other than thumb blisters. However, I realized afterward that my Achilles was pretty sore. More icing and Ibuprofen.

Thursday I helped my brother with some things around the house, taking it easy. Last night the Achilles was still swollen with twinges of pain when I extend the toe all the way.

My mother drove from New Jersey on Wednesday. We've been cooking, laughing and playing with my nephew. We're heading out on Monday, October 30th. Realism is having a hand in the plan from here to Jersey. My route and strategy are as follows:

Monday - Weather permitting, drive down to Rantoul, IL. I'll ride the 20-30 miles into Indiana. We'll find a place to camp and see how my Achilles feels. If it's not too sore, I'll keep riding through Indiana into Ohio.

If the Achilles is sore, we'll drive the two-lane local roads that I would have ridden if I was healthy. Taking our time, stopping in the small towns to talk to people and take photos. This will allow me to continue spreading word of my fundraiser while at the same time experiencing small town America. I've learned that this country is so much more than Interstate rest areas - I can hardly imagine taking the faceless, sterile Interstates to New Jersey after what I've been through already.

I'll use this strategy to get to Freehold, New Jersey; where my parents live. At the very least I intent to ride through the borders - Illinois:Indiana, Indiana:Ohio, Ohio:West Virginia:Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania:New Jersey. The borders had been special places while I was out there on my own. I don't want to pass up those opportunities.

As for the route, I'll start in Rantoul, IL on Hwy 136. East through Indiana on Hwy 28, into Ohio at Union City. Lots of back roads through Ohio; here's a few town names to get you on the right track - (west to east) Piqua, Urbana, Sunbury, Coshocton, Steubenville. West Virginia near Follansbee.

Pennsylvania: Basically south of Pittsburgh (this is a major departure from my previous route because of the snow east of Lake Erie) McKeesport, Greensburg, Johnstown, Orbisonia, New Bloomfield, Lebanon, south of Reading, Doylestown.

Into New Jersey at Washington Crossing. North of Trenton, through Princeton, Englishtown to Freehold!

I plan to be in Freehold on Friday, November 10. On Saturday, November 11th, I'll ride to Allaire State Park than take the bike path to Manasquan. You are all welcome to join me on the ride or meet us at the beach. Mark it on your calendar! The end point of the ride will be at the Manasquan River inlet. I'll ride the bike onto the beach and spread my grandmother's ashes, I'll also pour my bottle of Pacific Ocean water into the Atlantic. We'll have a party at Leggetts afterward.

The last segment is my point of focus. Yes, the journey to New Jersey is important, but getting to ride with my friends and family from Freehold to Manasquan is paramount. Being there on the beach is a fantasy that has driven me forward through the pain, frustration and loneliness. The image was etched on the undersides of my eyelids; as I closed my eyes smiling in the sun in Wyoming I saw us all there together. Many of you have told me how important it will be for you as well.

So, I'll be healthy when I show up in Freehold, I promise everyone that. I won't push myself to ride a ton along the way. I want to save my Achilles for that last defining leg. As November 11th gets closer I'll post directions and details.

Thanks for all the well wishes, comments and poems. By the way, donations have surged in the past week and we're now at 60% - $15,100. I don't know where it will come from, but $10,000 more and I'll have raised $25,000. Every dollar counts. Every person I meet counts.

See you all soon,
Andrew!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?