Friday, October 27, 2006

 

Lake of Healing and The Road Home


Still at my brother's house in Mc Henry, IL. The other day while he and his girlfriend Kristen were at work I raked the leaves. I haven't raked leaves in a few years because we don't have many in Oregon. It was nice to be in the yard with the sun reflecting off the lake. Yard work is one of my favorite things - time to think and be outside.

Raking leaves also leaves one with a great sense of accomplishment. It's beautiful to see the groomed green autumn grass with its combed blades all stretching in one neat direction. The piles of leaves marking progress. Balance between the obsession of getting every leaf and being content with leaving a few in the wet hollows of deep grass.

Tuesday I went for a bike ride. I intended to go 40 miles but at mile 10 I was feeling the Achilles. I turned around and put in a total of 20 over an hour and a half. I iced it three times that evening.

Wednesday I watched a movie in the morning and raked leaves for four hours in the afternoon. I don't usually associate raking with pain other than thumb blisters. However, I realized afterward that my Achilles was pretty sore. More icing and Ibuprofen.

Thursday I helped my brother with some things around the house, taking it easy. Last night the Achilles was still swollen with twinges of pain when I extend the toe all the way.

My mother drove from New Jersey on Wednesday. We've been cooking, laughing and playing with my nephew. We're heading out on Monday, October 30th. Realism is having a hand in the plan from here to Jersey. My route and strategy are as follows:

Monday - Weather permitting, drive down to Rantoul, IL. I'll ride the 20-30 miles into Indiana. We'll find a place to camp and see how my Achilles feels. If it's not too sore, I'll keep riding through Indiana into Ohio.

If the Achilles is sore, we'll drive the two-lane local roads that I would have ridden if I was healthy. Taking our time, stopping in the small towns to talk to people and take photos. This will allow me to continue spreading word of my fundraiser while at the same time experiencing small town America. I've learned that this country is so much more than Interstate rest areas - I can hardly imagine taking the faceless, sterile Interstates to New Jersey after what I've been through already.

I'll use this strategy to get to Freehold, New Jersey; where my parents live. At the very least I intent to ride through the borders - Illinois:Indiana, Indiana:Ohio, Ohio:West Virginia:Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania:New Jersey. The borders had been special places while I was out there on my own. I don't want to pass up those opportunities.

As for the route, I'll start in Rantoul, IL on Hwy 136. East through Indiana on Hwy 28, into Ohio at Union City. Lots of back roads through Ohio; here's a few town names to get you on the right track - (west to east) Piqua, Urbana, Sunbury, Coshocton, Steubenville. West Virginia near Follansbee.

Pennsylvania: Basically south of Pittsburgh (this is a major departure from my previous route because of the snow east of Lake Erie) McKeesport, Greensburg, Johnstown, Orbisonia, New Bloomfield, Lebanon, south of Reading, Doylestown.

Into New Jersey at Washington Crossing. North of Trenton, through Princeton, Englishtown to Freehold!

I plan to be in Freehold on Friday, November 10. On Saturday, November 11th, I'll ride to Allaire State Park than take the bike path to Manasquan. You are all welcome to join me on the ride or meet us at the beach. Mark it on your calendar! The end point of the ride will be at the Manasquan River inlet. I'll ride the bike onto the beach and spread my grandmother's ashes, I'll also pour my bottle of Pacific Ocean water into the Atlantic. We'll have a party at Leggetts afterward.

The last segment is my point of focus. Yes, the journey to New Jersey is important, but getting to ride with my friends and family from Freehold to Manasquan is paramount. Being there on the beach is a fantasy that has driven me forward through the pain, frustration and loneliness. The image was etched on the undersides of my eyelids; as I closed my eyes smiling in the sun in Wyoming I saw us all there together. Many of you have told me how important it will be for you as well.

So, I'll be healthy when I show up in Freehold, I promise everyone that. I won't push myself to ride a ton along the way. I want to save my Achilles for that last defining leg. As November 11th gets closer I'll post directions and details.

Thanks for all the well wishes, comments and poems. By the way, donations have surged in the past week and we're now at 60% - $15,100. I don't know where it will come from, but $10,000 more and I'll have raised $25,000. Every dollar counts. Every person I meet counts.

See you all soon,
Andrew!

Comments:
I'm still admiring your courage even after the injury to your achilles! Again, being a cancer survivor (2 years today in fact!) I applaud you! I am an IL resident and love the fact that you have riden to our state and are 'camping out' for a few to rest, I wish your path was along my route, I'd be certain to come cheer you on! But for now and the rest of your journey, my thoughts and prayers will be with you.
 
Thanks for updating us, Drew. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. I'm glad that you will be able to finish the trip in whatever way is best. Do take care of your achilles, and do continue to enjoy the trip. It all sounds tremendous, and we think so very highly of you and wish you the very best.
Josie
 
Cancer is a man made disease, the phyicisians in the 1700 and 1800 never reported a single case of Cancer, malignent or binine...It was not till the inversion of the internal combustion engine did the first few cases of Malignent tumors, cancer tumers apear in the medicial jornals. It was after the first atomic testings were performed in the new mexico desert in 1940 did Cancer start showing up in large quantitys of people.

There are many other cases of Radialactive fallout that will also increase the affects of geneologicaly inherited cancers...
Radition mutates right?

There was a Russian satallite that fell from space with a soccor ball size of radialactive plutonium aboard, burnt up in reentry and spred radiation over most of northen Canada and Russia, the dust traveled world wide.

Polution-preservitives. Thining of the ozone layer. Led, copper, tin, mercury all found in most ocean foods.

I have family that have died from cancer, and I would just like to state that we have made little to no headway in cancer...they say we have, but if that was true they would be asking for money all the time. Cancer is still killing people, there is still no cure, and no cure in sight. Since Terry Fox ran aross Canada in the late 80's for cancer, we still have no cure for the bone cancer terry died from, nore breast, ovarian, testicular, lung, brain, or any of the other major organs, they will tell you that their trements have improved, but its only marginal in reality...

What makes you think YOUR efforts are going to make a difference? Terry fox's efforts did nothing. Jim henderson who also did a poorme-othon, his efforts did what for us? The cure for cancer is easy!!! return the planet back to its origanal state...thats it. No more cars, or burning of fuels, andthing that was made after say oh 1600 we just dont use.. no plastic or modern dyes. For christ sake every day you wake up and eat you Special K... or any other cereal, your eating Herpys and aids medication...next to cancer drugs are they not the most powerful drugs on the market?? So while your fighting for cancer, your body is trying to deal with the packaging cemical from kellogs, which mind you was first created to treat herpys and aids...not preserve you cereal....

Good luck, this time next year, your efforts will of proven fruitless...for everyone person that you get to care, there are 10 that could care less...
 
look at the side of the box and then research B.H.T on the internet...if your cereal has B.H.T in it..your eating aids medication...yum yum~
 
You are giving a sense of compassion to all you meet! Keep trekking on (Whether by 2 wheels or 4!!)
I can hardly wait until you get to NJ! What a sense of accomplishment this will be!!!
Trek on, my friend! Trek on!!
~Gabi (marci's daughter)
 
How can I express my admiration? You are doing such a wonderful thing. Thank you!
Neysa Zurkammer
 
Andrew,

Tony and I will be in Arizona from the 10th-13th so we will miss your arrival. I'm soooo disappointed that we won't be able to celebrate at Leggetts. Hopefully we'll be able to get together before you head back.

ChrisG
 
I am sorry the only challenge of your journey was not the achilles,
but another kind of pain in the heel!
God is in control and so evident in your journey, the people you have met and your wonderful strong spirit. We don't know what prompts someone to react to good with negative thinking- you and I know that kind of thinking gets us nowhere! Brian has been on my heart so much this week-even more than usual. More and more we can remember the good times, the painful memories are diminishing.
Wish we could meet you in NJ- my school schedule makes it impossible- but Bud Brian and I will all be there stepping into the Atlantic with you in spirit. Traveling mercies. Lindy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?