Friday, October 06, 2006

 

Direction

A note on fundraising:
I've recieved many donations from people along the way. A number of the folks I've met have followed up with an online donation. Being an effective spokesman is an awesome feeling.

Total funds raised = $13,440.

That's 54% of my $25,000 goal!

I want to reiterate that the funds go directly to the American Cancer Society. None of the money supports expenses for my trip. Local businesses in Eugene donated food and materials to reduce the upfront cost.

If you donate online (here) you will get a confirmation directly from the Cancer Society. A;so, I encourage you to check that site once in a while and see the names of folks who have donated.

For those that wish to follow me on a map, here's my route to Illinois:
East out of Ft. Collins to Sterling, CO. Into Nebraska at Venango on Hwy 23

Nebraska:
East on Hwy 23 to Holdrege. East on Hwy 6 to Dorchester. East on 33 for a bit to local roads then north to Hwy 2 at Bennet. Exit State at Nebraska City.

Iowa:
East on Hwy 2. East on Hwy2. East on Hwy 2. This is not a typo. At Bloomfield pick up J40 into Fort Madison. Exit State at Fort Madison.

Illinois:
Enter the State at Niota. Local roads stair-step to Hwy 116. Hwy 116 east to Farminton, then north on Hwy 78 to Laura, then east on Hwy 90 to Edelstein. North on Hwy 40 to Hwy 17. East on Hwy 17 to Kankanee.

Through Indiana and Ohio I have maps back at home that Tracey will send me.

Pennsylvania:
Hwy 16 east to Scranton then a bunch of random State and local roads to the Delaware Water Gap. Still don't have a clue how I'm going to get across Jersey. If any Jersey bikers have ideas, let me know.

I haven't spoken with my brother about where we're going to meet up. The plan, though, is that he'll drive down to pick me up somewhere along Hwy 17 in Illinois. We'll drive up to his house north of Chicago for a day or two, then he'll drive me back down to the pickup spot. This way there's no break in the continuity.

I can't believe there are 12 comments on the last post - it's only been up 24 hours!

The writing was a little sloppy. If I turn this into a book it will be more fluid when edited.

Comments:
You are amazing! What an awesome thing to do! Gabi linked you blog from her blog. I will be making a donation sometime soon. It will be 5 years on the 20th that I lost my dad to cancer. Nothing pretty about watching your dad waste away to 80lbs.
Thank for what you are doing.
 
Drew!,

I am a hooked on your blog updates. Hey I need spellcheck on my blogs.! Your writing makes us so happy / > when we hear news, amazing story & resolve. You are my hero Drewman!
. JoeF
 
The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vihicle of novelists and poets. by C.Morley
 
vehicle
 
Andrew,
Roberta and I are pulling for you on your journey. You are just an awesome young man, keep up the good thoughts and let the miles roll away. We just received word that my sister is in the hospital and is dying of the bone cancer she has had for the last several years. I don't share this with you to burden you, only to remind everyone how real the need is to do everything we can to find a cure for this deadly disease. It plays no favorites and can strike anyone at any time. Keep pounding the pedals and we will keep you in our thoughts. Tom and Roberta
 
whoa! What an awesome trek!! I am excited to map it out and show my girls. My whole family is 'following' your journey! I hope you find some good roads to ride through NJ on! I don't recommend Route 287 or Route 22 (very busy)
GOOD LUCK and keep posting!!
~Marci's Daughter
 
Drew! You are doing awesome making serious progress - distance wise and in fund raising! I am really impressed. I am happy to know that you have the Rockies under your belt. I am sure they'll be memories that you will revisit throughout life. I always think about biking up Big Horn/4th of July Pass because of their tremendous challenge on a fully loaded bike. I am sure you have asked yourself, what is better, riding uphill or battling headwinds all day. My preference, I'll take a hill over headwinds. Your history blurbs on various towns are interesting to read. Is it nice to see the country at 14mph than 65mph? Glad that you continue to meet up with people along the way to help. You nailed it with the food description after a long hard day biking - nothing like cheeseburger and fries to satisfy the 3000 calories deficit that your body craves for. Keep up the good work! -Nick
 
Drew--
Thanks for the post card. I check the site each day wondering where you are, how the weather is treating you, etc. I'll have to plan a trip across Wyoming following your route, as it sounds nice! Glad to hear you are settling into a rhythm and gaining strength. That will make the midwest easier, despite the winds. Beware the hills of Iowa--steep, sneaky buggers! Be well.
Steve Hill
Montpelier, ID
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?