Sunday, September 03, 2006

 

Folded

I am in the newspaper today. The Oregon Life section of the Register Guard newspaper (click here for the online version).

The media coverage is working in two ways. The fundraising has been going extremely well this week. I've raised over $1000 this week alone and am approaching the 1/3 mark. Everyone who has donated is very special to me. I have been trying to email each of you directly but at this point there are over 70 of you. I will put together a list serve before I leave so I can hit you all with one note as I progress.

Many of the contributors included personal accounts of their struggles. I've traded emails with survivors, oncologists, people going through treatment, people who have had other family members stricken. Your stories and well wishes are inspiring. Keep sending them!

This week's interviews made me focus on my mission and motivation. I have begun to realize that what I'm doing is symbolic of an individual fight with cancer. There is an expected route but changes are inevitable and I won't know the outcome of each day until I live it. There are uncertainties along every stretch of road and in each town I enter. What if the bike breaks, what if I get sick, where will I spend the night tonight, what town should Tracey send the next package to and will it make there on time?

After the first week I hope I get used to the constant shuffle. Packing up camp, cooking breakfast, packing the bike, planning the day's calories and water. Then on the road, pedaling all day, reading the map, finding my way, trying not to get lost. Towards evening I will start looking for a safe place to camp, then unpack the bike, start cooking dinner and set up the tent. I will have to ice my knees, fight off saddle sores, manage nutrition and maintain the bike. Eat dinner, clean up, lay out breakfast and fall asleep. I have to plan my water needs and be on the look out for free potable water. I have to fill up on gasoline to run my camp stove. I have to make sure my bike is safe when I go into stores and bathrooms.

Always on the go, always planning, looking ahead. Constantly chasing nutritional requirements, being at the top of the health curve. Taking care of myself every second of every day. A mountain of hope supported by deliberate actions and will power to keep going. One minute. One mile. One hour. One town. One day. One week. One section. All strung together in a continuum at the head of which is me pedaling one revolution at a time.

You will all be with me as I go through this. Your names will be on the bike but your encouragement will be in my chest.

Yes, I'm nervous. No, I'm not afraid.

If I can raise another 2/3 by the time I get to New Jersey and arrive there safely, it will be monumental for me. If I can arrive in New Jersey safely it will still be impressive.
-Drew


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?