Saturday, September 16, 2006

 

Certainly Not Egypt


I'm in Cairo, on the border with Idaho.

The photo to the right is of the desert, east of Riley.

So, where was I? Burns was the last you heard from me, I think.

Well, I left Burns at about 4pm. There was a pretty strong cross wind coming out of town but it didn't slow me down much. I put in another 25 miles to a small place called Buchanan. There is a store there that has a huge amount of Native American art work. Mavis, the owner, has lived there for over 35 years. The store has a single gas pump out front that was designed to accomidate Model T's. There's actually an old Model T on top of the garage next to the shop.

Mavis let me spend the night camped next to the trailer she's having renovated. The weather report called for 28 degree temps and a change of rain. I made a hearty beef, vegitable and rice stew that night. 52.4 miles, 14.2 mph avg., 9:15am-6:30pm

Thursday, 9/15: I woke up and made a huge pot of oatmeal. The stove starting acting up on me so I took it apart and cleaned it with gasoline. The air temp was close to 35 but the morning sun warmed me quickly. There had been no rain, thankfully.

I was facing two passes this day, the first of which I was at the foot of. I didn't want to start riding uphill immediately so I rode a mile down the road to warm up and stretch. As much muscle as I'm building, I'm actually gaining flexibility. I'm stretching properly for once and in the right proportions; focusing on each muscle group and holding poses for 20 seconds at a moderate stretch.

I hit Stinkingwater Pass at 9am and topped out at 9:30. At the summit I stopped to put on a jacket for the cold descent. Hail, the size of peppercorns began falling all around me. The wind up there was gusty and cold. I felt more in the mountains there than I did at the top of the Cascades, which was 1000' higher.

35+ miles per hour for five miles downhill. I coasted for the first bit then began pedalling to put some heat back into me. The air temp was probably about 45 but it felt frigid. At the bottom of the hill I passed the junction to the town of Drewsy. I really wanted to go there because I am Drew and I'm going to Jersey...it rhymes and I'm corny like that.

The second pass, Drinkwater, was a bit more challenging because it was a longer climb. I was being chased by a rain squall that stayed just off my rear, occasionally lobbing big cold drops at me but otherwise just acting ominous as alpine squalls do. Down, down, down from the summit. I hit my all-time top speed of 44mph! I passed from the Pacific Time Zone to Mountain Time! I hadn't even considered going through time zones on a bicycle. Completely amazing.

Into Juntura, OR. I stumbled into the Oasis Cafe and inhaled a cheeseburger and fries with a gallon of hot tea. I had the feeling of being in the ski lodge after a few hours on the slopes. As I was wrapping up, I ran into two motorcycle tourists from Boise; Jon and Ron. They looked over my route through Idaho and confirmed it's feasibility. Jon also gave me the number of a person to coordinate with in Pocatello, ID. I'm psyched to have someone there because it's right before I head into Wyoming.

OK, so after chewing the fat with those guys I hopped back in the cockpit and took off east. I was reluctant to go because the weather had been brewing the whole time was loligagging in the restaurant. The next town was 35 miles away and it was 2pm.

Despite the fear of getting stuck out there in between towns in a storm, there is an incredible feeling about leaving a place. Stepping out of the comfort of a town, getting on the road where relativity is warped, moving on to some new place, a new challenge, unique problems to solve. I feel like every mile I ride is a truly special thing. Every mile counts. Every new town counts. Every moment I'm working my way across this country puts me that much closer to the glorious day when I will stand on the beach in New Jersey. Knowing this keeps me in the cockpit for hours on end.

That day, I left Juntura and headed down the Malhouer River toward the Snake River Valley. There was a fierce gusting northern wind fighting me sometime and pushing me other times as I wound my way east through the crooked canyon. Rain froze my arms until I couldn't feel them, so I stopped to put on a jacket and as I did, the squall blew south past me. I rode only ten minutes in the cold rain but further down the valley I saw signs of a significant rain storm. I was lucky.

By 7:30 (mountain time) I was in Harper, OR. There is a small store on the highway run by a guy named Brian. He had the simple, honest way of speaking that western people do. It was endearing and made me feel like I had moved on geographically from the Pacific Coast to the Western US. Brian mentioned that the principal of the Harper school had an open invitation for any cyclist to camp on the school grounds.

I rode the mile over to the small town and found the school. I set up camp on a small piece of grass where I could imagine myself a little kid playing games with my friends during lunch recess. The town was a quiet place with horses coralled in backyards and where people ride ATV's on the few narrow streets. There was a hose where the athletic teams fill up water coolers, that I used to wash my face and fill my bottles. It was simply the most friendly place I had been on my trip and I felt comfortable and safe for once.

My stove on the other hand was not being friendly. I took it apart again and cleaned it, but something was brewing I could tell. 73.5 mi, 13.6mph avg., 9am-7:30

9/16 - No oatmeal, no coffee, no stove because the damn thing won't burn the gasoline properly. It sputters and flares and then dies completely and I can't light it even though it's volitalizing fuel. This scenario played out twice this morning before I packed it up and munched some cold granola and a ClifBar.

Not too cold this morning, but brisk. I packed and rode back out to the highway after a nice quiet night at school. Brian poured me a cup of coffee to warm my hands and I wrote a thank you letter to the school principal. I was on the road at 9:30.

Pretty straight forward day. My left butt bone is sore but my legs are good solid tree trunks by now. The one short pass I climbed was cake and I coasted into Vale by 11:30, 23 miles away.

I grabbed more coffee and mailed some letters then headed out. At Cairo I headed north and found my way to the home of Lester and May Scott. They are the parents of a person my uncle met at his church. I'm sitting at their computer writing this to you. Lester was a surgeon for years and years, serving in the Army durring WWII and in the Air Force during the Korean War. Mary raised their four daughters in this very house. They have watermelons they can't eat fast enough and I spied a big crate of walnuts in the basement. They even used to run a few head of cattle years ago, something I truly admire.

So I've done a load of wash, taken a shower and am wearing an old set of Lester's jeans and oxford shirt. I'm relaxed for once. Mary fed me a huge sandwich and Lester cut me a slice of watermelon fit for three people.

I feel like I am at home for once and am able to collect my thoughts a bit. Still I'm antsy. I have a long road ahead. I've been warned several times about Wyoming and the coming fall weather. This cold snap is certainly worrisome because it brings undertones of early season blizzards and cold Rocky Mountain rain.

Can't worry about the weather. Just have to ride through it if it gets bad. Hole up when I can and grit my teeth when I can't.

This respite is exactly what I needed at this point in the trip. It will prepare me the days and weeks ahead.

Thank you for all your comments, they were fun to read. Please keep them coming!
Lots of love,
Andrew

Comments:
Awesome! Got Oregon bagged. I enjoy reading the Drew's News. Keep stretching, it does wonders. Seeing your pix brings back memories of my trip. Observing the photo at the gas station, it looks like you are filling up your bike - way to go - where is the mini-engine compartment on the bike to help you up the hills? I saw your downhill speed of 44mph, impressive. Mine was 51 mph, that is when I got too comfortable on my solid cadillac-rigged bike - always had to take it a notch higher on the next downhill. Please be careful doing these downhill kamikazes, you don't need me to explain. Feel bad about the stove, did ya get it to work? My thoughts are with you and God will always be your co-pilot. Have Fun! -Nick
 
Drew; Was that town Drewsy a sign? Drew going to Jersy. anyway Roger took us from east to west, now you are takeing us west to east. go east young man haha. the rockies should be a pice of cake by the time you get to them..and the great plains should be really boring maybe..I'm jealous of you meeting real americans not that others aren't just ones that lead a much simpler life...enjoy the weather..sounds challengeing. Praying for you.
 
Drew!

We received the Cliffbar in mail. Anne Marie and I rode for four hours and ate the bar - knowing you were riding too. In my belly! F B.

All the good people you are meeting along the way make you all the more determined to pedal the next leg.
Sounds like the terrain and weather change fast as you go east & up and down. Your energy is building as you spin into Idaho! You are awesome.
 
Wow, Drew,what an amazing ride you are having! I can barely fathom the people and places you are meeting, the progress you are making. Way to go! We drove through Pocatello a few years back, but you will experience it in a much more personal way, as you are experiencing everything from a biker's perspective.
I'm glad to hear that you got to stop and recharge, so to speak. One day per week for rest is a kind of principle, and you are about on target for that so far. Nice that it worked out this way. This is all fascinating reading; I want to call it historic. Please keep the posts coming, as you are able.
Josie and family
 
Keep it up, Andrew. Your adventure is inspiring.
 
While you were planning this ride, I was reminded of a book and sequel- Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins, written in the 70s. Now as I read your journal, I see you are truly having a similar adventure-with wheels, but meeting America, one person at a time! As our Brian would say- "SWEET"!! Many blessings,dear! We pray for you without ceasing.
 
Hey Drew, I thought of you today and checked in to see what you'd been up to. Fantastic progress so far! Keep it up and stay healthy! And best to Tracey too. It can't be easy to be home while you're out there. Good luck.

-Molly
 
Andrew, what you're accomplishing requires real spirit and grit. You're obviously a selfless individual. I first read about your plan in the Sept 3rd R.Guard article and immediately knew that I wanted to follow your progress, and I will. I've driven across the Oregon desert many times; probably 30-40 times as I was born and raised in Idaho until age 23 (I'm now 42). Since I moved to Oregon I've traveled back to Idaho to see family/friends. The areas you've covered like Riley, Buchanan, and Juntura all offer beautiful scenery if you enjoy the high desert. Now, coming into Vale and Boise, you're sure to see many more people as Boise is slightly larger than Eugene. Plus, it's a city that appreciates biking. My parents live in a tiny town called Homedale, 40 miles NW of Boise. Depending on which route you take at the Nyssa/Ontario junction, you may travel through Homedale. From Boise east, you're going to see much more terrain like you saw through the Riley area...sagebrush, that's the Mtn. Home area for you. Are you planning on taking the Sun Valley route through Fairfield? Or, staying on the freeway to Twin Falls? The Sun Valley route may actually have more level terrain and route you through Craters of the Moon! Check you map; you'll see what I mean. My comments may actually be too late for by the time you read this. Regardless, your a hero for all cancer victims and survivors. Cycle forward and keep your head high if/when your spirits drop. I'll check in several times per week. God bless you Andrew. Doug Vance
 
Keep on trucking Bro. Kristen and I are pulling for you. Can't wait to see you and talk about our younger years and stories on your adventure when you get here. I really admire you little bro.

-Matt
 
Good luck to you! My Parents and In-laws live in Pocatello Idaho. My wife was born there. We now live in Spokane, Wa and I work at REI. When you get to Pocatello and if you need anything you can contact our great friends and family at the First Baptist Church. It is downtown, 710 N Arthur street. (208)-232-6305. Just tell them that JD and Cori Lopez sent you. Also, if you need bike work, Scotts Ski and Sport is the place to go. It is about 3 to 4 blocks south of the church, 210 N Main street (208)232-1449 Ask for Dean. Take care and God Bless!
 
Thanks to everyone who has commented. Keep 'em coming!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?