Thursday, August 17, 2006

 

Fully Loaded


Here's the beast, the fully loaded touring bike. I'm wearing my Team Novara shorts and jersey.

What a difference 30 pounds makes! Fully loaded it handles somewhat like a loaded wheelbarrel. You can make it go straight as long as it's moving at a good speed. When you slow down it wobbles a little and takes a bunch of upper body strength to control.

I rode up the hill near my house the other day with tons of gear in the bags. It wasn't too tough to get up the hill. The lowest gear is perfect; this bike is MADE for fully loaded touring.

Logistics are getting more complicated. I've decided to make up food boxes that Tracey will ship on a weekly basis. Market of Choice, the local supermarket chain, is donating a big pile of bulk food to me. Todd and Rebeca, our friends who own a restaurant, are going to help with wholesale foods to augment whatever I can't get from the supermarket.

I'll make up meals and vaccuum seal them, then make up boxes of the meals. The boxes will be labeled and ready to go. I'll call Tracey and let her know where I'll be in a few days. She can send the next box, General Delivery to me and I'll pick it up at the Post Office when I roll into that town. This also allows me to call and ask for changes to the meal package with additional items like soap, toothpaste, socks, bike tubes, etc.

If you have any suggestions for backpacking-like menu items, send 'em on! I'm thinking rice, pasta, couscous, oatmeal, etc. Gotta keep it light weight. Planning on stopping at stores for fresh foods like fruit, veggies, eggs and bacon.

I just got a stack of detailed maps for the states. Gotta keep pushing the route through Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois....to New Jersey.

My parents were in Eugene all week and were incredible. They helped me get the last bits of bike gear in order and were a big motivator. My dad and I hiked up a mountain, Three Fingered Jack, on Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing them and the rest of my friends and family in New York and New Jersey.

Three weeks to go! I can't believe I'm about to embark on this trip. I am looking forward to meeting people along the way and seeing the country at 15 miles per hour. I'm also looking forward to newspaper interviews and getting closer to the fundraising goal.

Thanks to everyone who's been donating! I'm at 1/4 of the fundraising goal!

Lots of love,
Drew

Comments:
Alright buddy, you look all setup! Nice ride, where do you store the beer at? It is probally just better to keep a flask of the good stuff instead!
 
you look ready..Diesel man
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?