Friday, June 02, 2006

 

First Blog

Hey everyone,

So now I'm set up to give you updates on my progress toward fundraising, getting my gear in order and training for my cross country ride. Once I start my ride I'll give you updates on my progress across the US.

I got my training bike in the mail from my parents the other day (thanks mom!). It's a racing bike from the 80's that a friend had given me when I was 19. Yesterday's 15 mile test ride was great and it will be sweet to train on this bike for next month or two. Before I depart on the cross-country trip I need to get a touring bike. A touring bike is designed to handle the bags that go over the front and rear wheel and carry all my stuff; beefy wheels, special tapped holes to bolt on racks, longer wheel-base so your heels don't rub the rear bags. They also have a relaxed riding position, which will help keep my hands from going numb on 100+ mile days.

I've been brainstorming with friends here in Eugene about fundraising and there are some excellent ideas. One friend thinks she can set up a benefit concert, others are thinking of hosting parties and asking for donations at the door. Another friend works for REI and suggests that I join the REI biking team and work through them to get a deal on a touring bike. For now, I'm going to be contacting all my friends and family. I'm also going to contact bicycle manufacturers to see if they are interested in donating gear (or a bike?).

Thanks for checking this page, I hope to keep it up to date every few days so you have something to look forward to when you're poking around online at work, between class or after work. Send me an email or give me a call (ask for my number in an email), I'd love to hear from you.
-Andrew

Comments:
Drew,

Great to here you will pedal the USA and raise awareness for American Cancer Society.
Small towns, newspapers and radio will help your voice be heard!

Lifespoke indeed, best of luck on your voyage! Your friend ,
Joe
Freehold NJ
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?